Erie is Pennsylvania’s port on the great lakes with a great railroad history along with unique historical, environmental, and cultural features.
General Interest Activities
- VisitErie is a non-profit organization to promote Erie as a tourism destination. They have been extremely helpful to us in planning the Northern Express, and their website is a great starting place to discover what the Erie has to offer. Among other features on their website, they offer “Hello Erie,” a trip planner app.
- Tom Ridge Environmental Center is a natural history museum and gateway to Presque Isle.
- Presque Isle State Park is a National Natural Landmark in Erie. This website lists a number of possible things to do in the park.
- Erie Maritime Museum is the homeport to the U. S. Brig Niagara and a museum exploring Erie’s maritime past.
- Erie Art Museum has a collection of over 8,000 objects ranging from those created by local and regional artists to well known figures from art history.
Nearby Rail Museums
- Lake Shore Railway Museum is in Northeast, PA about fifteen miles from Erie.
- The ALCO-Brooks Railroad Display is in Dunkirk, NY about fifty-five miles from Erie.
- Greenville Railroad Park and Museum is in Greenville, PA