- February: Membership Meeting: 1:00 PM February 9, 2019 at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Program: Easy hard-shell and ground goop as well as wire tree armatures.
- March: Erie Train Show: March 3, 2019 at Rainbow Gardens. Division 12 has its T-TRAK layout, consignment sales, and information table as well as clinic presentations.
- March: Membership Meeting: 1:00 PM March 9, 2019 at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Program: Scratch building with wooden block cores.
- March: Railfest: March 16 and 17. Division 12 members answer questions and demonstrate the T-TRAK layout.
- April: Membership meeting: 1:00 PM April 13, 2019 at the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society located at 31 Wall Street, North East, PA 16428. Program: from museum staff and presentation on tank cars.
- May: NMRA Mid Central Region Convention: May 2-5. Division 12 members are volunteering and some of our T-TRAK group will be participating in a large T-TRAK layout. As it is right next-door this year, we are hoping to have a significant Division 12 turnout at The Bullet 2019, our regional convention.
- May: Membership Meeting: 10:00 AM May 11, 2019 at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Program: Overview of the NMRA website and introduction to Fast Track turnout jigs.
- June: Between the Rails: Division 12 is hosting a picnic and train watching, joining with other railroad enthusiasts at the North Gale Street picnic area in Westfield, NY on June 8, 2019 starting at noon.
- July: Membership Meeting: 10:00 AM July 13, 2019 at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Program: Three different weathering techniques with presentation, demonstrations, and an opportunity to try one out.
- July: Jefferson Train Show: July 20, 2019 in Jefferson, Ohio. We will have our T-TRAK layout and information at this train show.
- August: Membership Meeting: 10:00 AM August 10, 2019 at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Program: Modeling electrical equipment as large loads, and using DCC lighting decoders.
- September: Alleghany Western Mini-Meet 2019: Details coming soon!
- October: Membership Meeting: 10:00 AM October 12, 2019 at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Program: Mini-Meet after action reflection and ongoing planning for 2021 regional convention.
- November: Erie Train Show: November 3, 2019 at Rainbow Gardens. Division 12 will have its T-TRAK layout, consignment sales, and information table as well as clinic presentations.
- November: Model Railroad Tours: November 10, 2019. Division 12 will showcase some of its members’ layouts. We are hoping for better weather this year!
- December: Christmas Party: December 14, 2019 from 1:00 – 4:00 PM at Hoss’s Steak and Sea House in Erie again this year.
Division 12’s June Membership Meeting will be followed by a picnic lunch, meeting other railroaders, and train watching.
A short membership meeting will be held on June 9th at 11:00 AM at the North Gale Street picnic area in Westfield, NY. After the meeting, we will sponsor a picnic and train watching, joining with other railroad groups in our division’s area: the Conewango Switch Tenders and the Independent Railroaders. We will have information about our new NMRA Division 12 and a donation jar. We look forward to meeting with new folks who are not yet part of the Alleghany Western Division, but who share an interest in model or prototype railroads.
Food service will be at 12:30 PM. Hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, and condiments will be provided. Please bring a dish to share, table service and drinks for yourself and guests, and outdoor chairs if you have them. Please consider carpooling.
Please RSVP to Dave Ellis email@example.com or 206-310-1453 by June 2nd with the number of people attending, so we can estimate the food purchases.
Division 12 held a membership meeting on Saturday, April 14th at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. The minutes of the meeting are available on the Documents page.
During the business segment of the meeting, the three appointed officers were elected by an election of acclimation, keeping us in alignment with our even-year election cycle. Also, a motion to amend the Regulations put forth by the clerk and recommended by the board of directors passed unanimously. The amended Regulations and the minutes explaining the rationale for the amendments are both available on the Documents page.
One of the ongoing features of our membership meetings is the Bring and Brag segment. Five members (including a brand new member) shared a variety of structures, rolling stock, and plans that they have been working on recently:
- Doug Sandmeyer shared an On30 queen post bridge built from an S scale Hunterline kit.
- Brad White shared a Lasercut kit of an elevator and a cement hopper.
- New member, Ray Goetz shared a heavily kit bashed box cab HO locomotive as an example of the crazy things he builds in his basement.
- Dave Ellis shared a hand drawn, 1″=1′ track plan of an addition to his attic layout.
- Mike Hauk shared several really nicely weathered Bowser F-30 flat cars with Owl Mountain lumber loads.
Photographs of the Bring and Brag projects are on our Facebook page.
Our presentation, by Blaine Hays, got us off to a great start for having interesting and informative presentations at our membership meetings. He presented information, great photographs, and even some personal stories of his researching trolleys and interurban systems of the Erie area over the years. Despite our having to troubleshoot dimming the light in the trolley station for our presentations, the topic and quality of his presentation couldn’t have been more appropriate.
- February: First Membership meeting on Saturday, February 10, 2018 at the Quality Inn and Suites in Erie, PA.
- March: Board of Directors meeting Saturday, March 10 at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Planning for 2018 meetings and activities.
- April: Membership meeting: Saturday, April 14th at 1:00 PM at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Presentation: Blaine Hays on Erie Interurban transit.
- May: Membership meeting: Saturday, May 12th at 1:00 PM at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Presentation: Dick Bradley on short lines of the 1960s.
- June: Membership meeting and Event: Saturday, June 9th Picnic and train watching at Gale Street in Westfield NY. Membership meeting at 11:00 AM and picnic beginning at 12:30 PM.
- July: Membership meeting: Saturday, July 14th at 10:00 AM at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Presentation: Dave Ellis on model railroad backdrops.
- July: Event: Division 12 Information Table and T-Trak Layout at the Jefferson Historical Society’s Train Show on Saturday, July 21st from 10:00 AM-3:00 PM.
- August: Membership meeting: Saturday, August 11th at 10:00 AM at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Presentation: Brad White on model railroad operations on the Chautauqua Branch.
- September: Membership meeting: Saturday, September 8th at 1:00 PM at the Salamanca Railroad Museum. Details to be confirmed
- September: Board of Directors meeting: Saturday, September 29th, at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. Planning for November Division 12 events: Erie Train Show, T-Trak Displays, NMRA Layout tours.
- October: Membership meeting: Tentatively, Erie area meeting with presentation on operations on a model railroad and then operating on the railroad after the meeting. Details to be confirmed.
- November: Public Event(s): Erie Train Show and possible other public demonstrations of Division 12 T-Trak layout. NMRA only event: Layout tours.
- December: Break and holidays.
The Allegheny Western Board of Directors plan to meet on Saturday, March 10th at 10:00 AM at the Cambridge Springs Trolley Station. The agenda will include reports from the officers and planning for upcoming membership meetings and Division 12 activities.
Division 12 held its first membership meeting on Saturday, February 10, 2018 at the Quality Inn and Suites at Route 97 and I-90 in Erie, PA. The minutes of the meeting are available on the Documents page.
One of the features of our membership meetings will be the Bring and Brag segment. The initial participation demonstrated some excellent modeling in our division as members brought examples of what they have been working on.